Note: On May 18th, I decided to assign Virgo to Vesta and therefore the 6th house is ruled by Vesta and is opposite the 12th house. Reading over what I wrote here back on April 29th, I can see how Vesta is the 12th house’s counterpart / opposite!
The twelfth house is the house of the broken soul and non-self, the secret or magical self. It’s the house of fog and gases, the intangible that can not be held, seen, factually verifiable yet often heard and recognized. This is the house of soul as a *pathway*, the soul as a *conduit* to our dreams. And sometimes that soul or psyche breaks down and we need to heal and this is the house where that is taken care of. The twelfth house sets the stage for the realization that we are all “one”, all in it together. This is the House of “under-work” to the point of inertia, to the point where it can destroy one’s psyche if left unobserved. It’s a water house that deals with the arcane and the dream-world which are crucial to Neptunian ideals.
Facts about the 12th House.
- Ruled by *Neptune (Pisces). A Cadent house.
- House Axis: 12 /6 Polarity
- Aspect / Planet – Sign: (Pisces) Neptune Opposition Mercury (Virgo) The JMAD Swap: Neptune Virgo / Mercury Pisces. Update – May 18th: (Pisces) Neptune Opposition Vesta (Virgo). Pisces is in Sextile with Taurus (the 2nd house) and Capricorn (10th house); therefore, these houses stimulate and piggy-back off of each other. The 12th house is also in harmony (trine) with the 4th and 8th house which completes the primary “internal and psychological” themes in a natives life.
- Everyone has 12th house themes. This is the House of The Secret Self or when house ownership is taken, it can be viewed as The House of the Higher or Magical Self.
- 12th House: From The Universe to Me. Sixth House: From Me to The Universe.
- House Themes: Unconscious & Hidden Secrets, Chronic Health & Healing, Institutions That Confine, The Non-Self & Self-Sabotage, Gestation & The Psyche, Humanity, Larger Pets & Animals
12th House Themes
- House of Unconscious and Hidden Secrets: Enemies that we don’t know exist. Things we don’t want anyone, including ourselves, to know about. Not knowing what’s not working. Secrets that make us sad. Subconscious yearnings or desires. Unacknowledged or spoken fears. Deceiving self. Guardian angels, watchers, helpers, benefactors, philanthropists. Hidden talents, desires, and strengths. What one represses. What one forgets yet is very important to remember and often quite traumatic. What others fear or do not like in us but won’t often tell us. How we take care of the secrets others tell us. Skeletons in the closet.
- House of Chronic Health & Healing: Places where serious mental and physical illness and disease occurs. Healing the dis-ease in others. Nebulous or undiagnosed health issues. Universal pain. Alternative healing that doesn’t or hasn’t responded to traditional healing. Reiki. Re-birth therapy. Types of long term and on-going health issues. How dis-ease manifests. Types of fluids one enjoys or needs for better health. The types of illnesses. Psychosomatic illnesses. Empathic illness. The type of toxic environments that can cause chronic illness. Internal, deep, and difficult to express and release pain. Agoraphobia.
- House of Institutions That Confine: Prisons. Hospitals. Zoos. Asylums. Boarding schools. Libraries. Storage Units. Nursing Homes. Hospices. Bondage. Halfway Houses. Abuse Shelters. Being restrained due to choices made, karma, or social drop-out. Represents the type of locks that are had depending on house ruler and planets residing in the house? Examples: a heart (moon) lock, a mental (mercury) lock, a sun (self) lock, etc. One *institution* that confines in the 12th house is the “soul of the brain”. Imprisonment.
- House of The Non-Self & Self-Sabotage: Eradication of self. Suffering. Forgiving. Being compassionate. Offering “listening” therapy. What people feel comfortable telling you about. Slavery. Guilt. Shame. Karma. Selflessness. Giving to others. Self-destructive non-action. Inertia. Hidden understanding of self. Not being seen, felt, heard, or understood. What is unknown about us. Chemical Addictions. Being a martyr, victim. How we serve and focus on others. Poverty. How or what you let others take care. The area others want to help or bind you. How we can get out of the way of our egos and let loose.
- House of Gestation & The Psyche: Dreams. Contemplation. Meditation. Ideas that are born seemingly out of nowhere. Getting ready and preparing for being an individual. Formulating and deciding upon what one will use or not use in one’s personality. Training the psyche. Expression of the Psyche through art and intuitive insights. What we enjoy dreaming about. Reflection and Quietness. Isolation. Hermit. Spiritual development. Enlightenment through sacrifice. House of gestating and percolating — great place for received inspired wisdom.
- House of Humanity: Forgiveness. Compassion. Volunteering. Universal Consciousness. Spirituality. Being on welfare. Creating co-dependence so one is taken care of. Past, present, and future lives. Collective Conscious. Dying and paying for the sins of humanity. How one views other human beings. Prejudices experienced. How we accept others. The karma we carry.
- House of Larger Pets & Animals: Human beings. The Hunted and Trapped. Reflects the wild and expansive nature, if only within dreams. Types of animals you like such as horses. Types of human beings / personalities you like subconsciously (humans are mammals).
Houses of the 12th
There were so many houses to illustrate the 12th house that it was hard to just show one of them, so here the other ones are…
Planned articles for the Twelfth:
- Elaboration of 12th house themes.
- Manifestation of 12th house themes within each sign or house ruler and planet.
- Misunderstandings from self and other within the 12th house.
- How-to overcome 12th house challenges.
What others say about this house
What’s in your first and 12th house? If nothing is in it, what is in your 6th and 12th house cusp? What have you experienced as 12th house themes? Anything else you want to share about the 12th house?
Self-disclosure: I have a 12th house cusp in Sagittarius, Jupiter rules the house (Placidus, Koch, Equal, Porphyry).
Did you like what you read?
Reply, retweet, like, share, etc…
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Want a personal reading, consultation?
Check me out at YOUR Wisdom Guide
Incoming search terms:
- scorpion logo (265)
- 12th house (33)
- virgo in the 12th house (18)
- mars in aquarius in 12th house (18)
- 12th house astrology in depth (14)
- vesta in the 12th house (14)
- virgo in 12th house (12)
- vesta in 12th house (12)
- 12th house virgo (12)
- 12th house in virgo (9)