Part 3 – How to Read / Delineate a Birth Chart: Nineteen Ways to Read a Natal Chart
|October 17, 2011||Filled under Astrology, Learning, Delineation, Natal, Type of Astrology|
A natal chart represents the all of you. And that all is complex and intricate, no matter how simple one may feel. A chart contains your DNA. It’s a very private document. A word of warning: If you are content being naked amongst strangers, then feel free to share your birth chart with anyone. However, if you have a big need for privacy, be discerning with who sees your chart because if the person seeing your chart has any expertise with chart delineation along with an unscrupulous nature, it can do more harm than good to share it. Again, be discerning.
Below, I have listed 19 ways to read a natal chart. These are things I look at when delineating a chart. I might look at other things but this is all I remember at this time.
A chart can be read for many hours, over many sessions, and years. You’ll find that astrologers, who have looked at their chart for decades, still learn something new about their own chart. So when getting or giving an astrology consultation, remember that it’s a huge endeavor and one session is likely to just scrape the surface of your being. Therefore, starting a session off with some basic questions to be asked of the chart, is helpful in deciding where to focus your attention. Oh, and the chart will ask you questions back so don’t be surprised if a question is met with another question! We humans are riddles and puzzles, waiting to be solved and put back together.
Also note that, while useful, generated charts synthesize at the macro level but ultimately miss out on some important details and intuitive jumps that only a live astrologer (at this time) can delineate.
Here’s things to look at while delineating a chart:
- What’s the chart ruler?
- What’s the overall impact (Sun, Moon, Ascendant)?
- Ruler of the x house is in the x house.
- Natural house rulers and planets in the houe of its natural house ruler
- Signs representing people and the activity connected to the native.
- Check out empty houses
- Public or private person? Other or me person?
- What’s happening around the angles?
- What element emphasis does the chart have? Any missing or emphasized elements?
- How are the planets connecting? What signs are carrying out their plans? Aspect delineation.
- What patterns are made with the aspects?
- What’s the chart shape?
- Any special emphasis on the personality such as a stellium (honorary second Sun)?
- Any missing signs?
- What house gives a second, third, or amplified Sun?
- What conjunction is made between house ruler and planet (if any)?
- What conjunction is made between house cusp ruler, sign and natural house ruler, sign?
- What’s on the other side of the planet or house? Where’s the polar opposite? What’s it doing? Say Moon is in the 10th, then you have Moon Conjunct Saturn (very poweful) and Moon Opposite Moon (4th house, IC). Or lets say you have Venus and Pluto in the 8th, Venus is the natural house ruler of the opposite house so it’s very powerful. Or lets say you have Pluto in the 8th and Venus in the 2nd — this becomes Venus Opposite Pluto, which is also the natural house rulers, and is a very powerful placement.
- What is the native’s age? That’s a quick clue-in to major milestones or “life transits”.
Number 19 is not really a part of chart delineation as it’s connected to looking at the native’s transits; however, milestones are themes that affect the native greatly and can alter their personality and psychology in dramatic ways so it’s good to pay close attention to that while delineating a natal chart. Which reminds, looking at the progressed and natal chart (at the same time) is quite helpful too. And as can be known, reading a chart can take many sessions to unravel adequately.
Do you have another way to read a natal chart?
You may also be interested in: Part 2 – How to Read a Birth Chart: The Twelve Houses of Our Lives (Astrology House Series)
What Others Say
Did you like what you read?
Reply, retweet, like, share, etc…
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Want a personal reading, consultation?
Check me out at YOUR Wisdom Guide
Incoming search terms:
- what is a DELINEATING chart (12)
- delineation (7)
- how to delineate a natal chart (5)
- delineation how to read natal chart (4)
- delineation of a birth chart (4)
- Professional Numerology and Progressed Delineation Chart (4)
- how to delineate an astrology chart (2)
- birth chart delineation (2)
- free online NATAL CHART DELINEATION (2)
- delineating an astro chart (2)