Part One: An Introduction to the 4th House, Fourth House Astrology Series
|August 7, 2011||Filled under 4th, Houses|
The fourth house is the House where we find our roots and comfort. It is the house of family, extended family, family resources, our past and our future, and it represents long term memory.
The fourth house is also the house of our childhood and our parents childhood and so-on.Â It represents the circle of life and size. It’s the house of what makes us into who we are as adults and it’s our past that we like to keep private.Â This is where we can find “Skeletons in the closet“.Â It represents resources used to rear us.Â Often it is where we blend into what everyone else wants of us.Â We are not heard or recognized as individuals who have separate and distinct aspirations. This is the house of family, extended family, and family we don’t know about.Â This is the House of “non-work” as we develop our psyche and make choices about what we want to become or settle into. It’s a water house that deals with the mother, emotions, instinct, food, housing, and sustenance — basic needs!
Within Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs the 4th house covers Physiological, Safety, and part of one’s Love/Belonging needs.Â This is a serious house dealing with security, responsibilities, and emotional well-being.
The 4th house is where we get nurtured so that we can become a success out in the big and difficult world (10th house).Â This house shows how we were nurtured until our early 20’s (3rd Saturn Square & Uranus Squares Saturn).Â Once we have proven our success away from our early conditions and family support or non-support, we go back to become an elder or mentor after we have self-acutalized and received public recognition in the 10th house.Â This happens around 60 years old and this is when you make way and support the 20, 30, and 40’s in leaving their legacy and imprint on the world.
Facts about the 4th House.
- Ruled by Moon (Cancer). An Angular house.
- House Axis: 4 /10 Polarity
- Aspect / Planet – Sign: (Cancer) Moon Opposition Saturn (Capricorn)
- The JMAD Swap: Moon Capricorn / Saturn Cancer.Â Our parents or male/female care-givers. Cancer is in Sextile with Virgo (the 6th house) and Taurus (2nd house); therefore, these houses stimulate and piggy-back off of each other. The 4th house is also in harmony (trine) with the 12th and 8th house which completes the primary “internal and psychological” themes in a natives life.
- Everyone has 4th house themes. This is the House of Ancestry (past) or when house ownership is taken, it can be viewed as The House of Nurture (present).
- 4th House: Don’t see me and what was created before me. (behind closed doors) Tenth House: See me and what I have created. (an open door)
- House Themes: Our Roots, Family & Parents or Care-takers, Heritage, Beginning and End of Life, Housing & Land or Farming, Food & Produce, Resources & Resourcefulness, Archetypes & the Universe
Personal note: I’m a psychic and occultist, by trade (Scorpio planet in the 10th).Â My mother is a water sign and was involved with tarot and the occult and I come from a long line of occultists on my mother’s side who practiced in secret. My father is of an earthy and logical temperament with a conservative heritage who is /was focused on public / career success.Â He was / is a business man and I went to school for business. My parents split when I was young so I was reared mainly by my father (unusual for the times). I have Saturn in the 4th — Saturn co-rules Aquarius!Â If it were not for my father, I wouldn’t have turned my occult abilities into a business.Â And if it weren’t for my mother, I wouldn’t have had the psychic DNA in my blood.Â The 4th house contains information about both of your parents, as does the 10th.Â As a side-note, I was raised on a farm for a good number of years and this very much relates to my earthy Saturn in the 4th placement. 😀
4th House Themes
- House of Our Roots: heritage, ancestry, where we came from. What we know about our roots.Â What is hidden about our roots when we are young.Â What we find out about our roots when we are much older. What we own or is passed on to us as it relates to the family, such as photos, heirlooms, and real estate.Â Burial grounds or places where the native can find relics of the past or where their relics will be stored.
- House of Family & Care-takers:Â The parents but specifically the Mother or Nurturer and what she / they pass on to you.Â The quality of care received.Â The size of the family and the reason for the size.Â How you were nurtured.Â The first house is nature and 4th house is nurture.Â The role your father played in the home.Â The kind of family you have. Siblings whom one is not close with due to adoption, out of wedlock birth, previous marriage / family of parents and their emotional and psychological temperament as related to the native’s parents (siblings are in the 3rd).Â Siblings whom one does not know.
- House of Beginning & End: Childhood and old age. How we begin our lives and how our lives end.Â Before 20 and after 60. The quality of our life when we are young and much older.Â
- House of Housing & Land (Farming, Water, What’s at or below the horizon): The quality, size, and appearance of one’s parental home and what one might possess in adulthood.Â The type of building one spends most of their time in.Â What the land looks like in the area of one’s home.
- House of Food & Produce:Â Food secured.Â How one purchases their food and what one eats.Â Why the native eats emotionally. Â The types of foods we ate and will get to eat.
- House of Resources & Resourcefulness:Â How your family and how you cope when in crisis.Â The resources available to you to provide comfort and sustenance. How resources are used.
- House of Archetypes & the Universe: What we do not know but what is inherently known about all there is to know. The archetypes we are most exposed to when developing and during retirement.
- Elaboration of 4th house themes.
- Manifestation of 4th house themes within each sign, planet.
- Misunderstandings from self and other within the 4th house.
- How-to overcome 4th house challenges.
What others say about this house
What’s in your 4th and 10th house? If nothing is in it, what is in your 4th and 10th house cusp? What have you experienced as 4th house themes? Anything else you want to share about the 4th house?
Did you like what you read?
Reply, retweet, like, share, etc…
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Want a personal reading, consultation?
Check me out at YOUR Wisdom Guide
Incoming search terms:
- empty 4th house (40)
- 4th house empty (20)
- native house (16)
- empty fourth house (10)
- sagittarius cusp 4th house empty (10)
- aquarius in 4th house cusp (8)
- saturn in the 4th house natal (7)
- empty fourth house taurus (6)
- uranus in virgo in 4th house (5)
- fourth house natal lilith (4)